Go on a short-term placement with the world church
Our Journey With Us and Expanding Horizons programmes provide opportunities to experience the life and mission of the church in another culture.
We have been arranging placements for volunteers from 18 to 80 years for over 50 years.
Journey With Us (formerly the Experience Exchange Programme or EEP) is for people of all ages and backgrounds, although participants must be resident in Britain or Ireland and aged over 18.
Expanding Horizons is specifically for clergy and ordinands.
Note: We host regular Exploration Weekends in Birmingham for more info email Habib Nader:
Journey With USPG
You may know of the Journey With Us programme under its former title, the Experience Exchange Programme (EEP).
We will support you through every step of the placement process, with training prior to travel, care while on placement, and debriefing on return.
Participants often describe their placements as a life-changing experience – and we trust this will be your experience also.
- Who is eligible? Anyone resident in Britain and Ireland, aged 18 or over, from any denomination or church background.
- Length of placement: Up to 12 months.
- How is my placement decided? Placements are tailor-made to meet individual preferences, including location. All placements are with USPG partners, in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. Note: we are unable to provide placements in the USA or Canada because the churches there have their own programmes.
- Funding: The Journey With Us programme is a self-funding volunteer scheme. Cost depends on the location, length of placement and the individual. For a 9-12 month placement you may need raise on average between £3,000 and £4,000 to cover airfares, insurance, living expenses, training, and sundry costs. A small grant is available from USPG, and we may advise on where further funding could be available.
- What is it like on placement? You will be the guest of your host church, who will provide pastoral care and support. The emphasis is on participation, sharing and fellowship.
- What skills are required? No professional skills are necessary. You may have a professional skill that you wish to use. Likewise, you may wish to try your hand at something new.
We are an inclusive organisation. Our Journey With UsPG programme is open to all, irrespective of where you are on your life and faith journey.
The Expanding Horizons programme provides clergy, ordinands and church workers with an opportunity to experience and share in the life and mission of the world church.
We offer a small grant and help arrange a placement where required, ranging from one to six months. This can be anywhere in the world where we have links with the Anglican Church.
On your return, we ask all participants to submit a short placement report with photos. We will also invite you to attend a Sharing and Debriefing Day and to undertake speaking engagements on behalf of USPG.
- Who is eligible? Clergy who want to travel overseas on sabbatical, ordinands who are planning an overseas placement, and church workers who want to develop their understanding of the world church. All candidates must be residents of Britain or Ireland.
- Cost: If you are arranging your own placement independent of USPG, you might be able to apply for a financial contribution.
- Location: If requested, we can provide suggestions for your placement anywhere in the world where we have links with the Anglican church. (Note: We cannot support placements in Canada or USA because the churches in these countries have their own placement programmes.)
- Travel and preparation: Prior to travel – whether or not you are arranging your own placement – we can provide training to prepare you for your trip, which covers topics such as culture shock, personal health care and how to define and interpret mission.
- Deadline for applications: The last day of February each year. To apply, please begin by completing the form at the bottom of this page. If you have missed the deadline you are welcome to apply and your application will be considered, however we cannot guarantee that funds will be available.
Next step: Send us your details
Get in touch and we will send more information and an application form, including details of our next Exploration and Selection Weekends held, in Birmingham.