Join with Us to transform lives of women affected by domestic violence
We are working with churches around the world to combat violence against women through friendship, prayer and practical support.
In Zambia, we are working with the Anglican Church to roll out a nationwide programme that includes women’s support groups and training in job skills so women can be financially independent from violent husbands.
Mary (pictured) was beaten by her husband, then left by him to care for five children on her own. But, with the support of Us and the church-run Agape Women’s Group, Mary has set up a vegetable growing business which is enabling her to pay her daughters’ school fees.
Mary is also teaching her children by example that women need not be victims to the brutality of violent men.
Please support this work – through prayer and by making a donation – and give hope to women like Mary who face violence.
16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence
The 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence campaign was launched in 1991 by the Centre for Women’s Global Leadership, based in New Jersey, USA.
We invite all our supporters to pray throughout this period for an end to violence against women, not just in Zambia but around the world.
The campaign runs from 25 November – which is International Day Against Violence Against Women – and ends on 10 December – which is International Human Rights Day.
The aims are to raise awareness of the issues, to lobby internationally against gender-based violence, to inspire and strengthen work among women, and to promote solidarity among women around the world as they seek to combat violence.
Please pray each day, both individually and in your churches, for an end to violence against women.
Send a friendship bracelet to Zambia
As part of our 'Hitting home' campaign, we are inviting you to show your support for women in Zambia by wearing an Us friendship bracelet.
You will receive two bracelets.
One for you to wear.
The other for you to return to Us with a donation and a personalised message from you for Us to send on to a woman facing violence in Zambia.
Your bracelet is part of your pledge to remember, pray for and support women in Zambia, and around the world.
Here are some of your messages of support:
- ‘There is never an excuse for violence against women. It is never your fault. Women all around the world are standing with you, and pray for your well-being.’
- ‘You are not alone. Many all over the world understand what you are going through and how complicated your life is.’
- ‘May you know the Lord’s strength and protection as we pray for you.’
- ‘I work with women in the UK and I want you to know that we think of you and pray for an end to gender-based violence throughout Zambia and the world.’
- ‘You are not alone. You are not forgotten. May God give you peace and strength.’
- ‘My prayers and thoughts are with you. I know how painful escaping from an abusive relationship can be. Stay the course, and God be with you.’
- ‘I am 11 years old. I am praying for you and I really really hope things get better for you.’
Pray with Us for women who suffer domestic violence in Zambia
God of compassion and love,
Whose Son Jesus Christ became incarnate through woman:
look with compassion on women who suffer violence at the hands of men
and help us to challenge injustice
until all who are created in your image know dignity and freedom;
Through Jesus Christ who suffered for us,
and is alive and reigns with you,
In the unity of the Holy Spirit,
One God, now and for ever.